Monday, July 6, 2009

Leaving Marietta

My Position in Marietta Ending:

After serving as the Youth and College Minister out of First Baptist and on the campus of Marietta College for the past three years, I was informed that the church would not be continuing my position for a fourth year. It was communicated to me that it was for financial reasons. I apologize that I haven't been able to inform many of you of this until recently, but I was not allowed to share this news until July 1.

God has done so much in and around me these three years. I have seen the Lord develop an entire ministry and community on campus through the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, where many college students have either come to saving faith in Christ or been growing in their process of discipleship with Him. This community is in a great place and will continue to be doing powerful Kingdom work well beyond me.

I have seen the Lord impact high school and middle school students through the youth ministry here. Over 100 high schoolers have come through the large metal door of our youth center on Sunday nights, and of those, many have been here just for a time and then disappeared, but there is a solid group of youth who are really pursuing and being persued by Christ.

It will be exciting for me to watch from a distance as these students of all different ages continue to grow and develop their own ministries and purpose in life. It has truly been an honor to be a part of their lives, and I thank them and the Lord for that.


Moving to California:

The next scene of my life is going to be played out in Simi Valley, California. I am going to be taking classes at Eternity Bible College, which is a ministry out of Francis Chan's church Cornerstone. The main reason I am going is to enter into an accelerated time of learning and growth in my own personal walk with Christ, as well as my own call as a minister and preacher of the Gospel. A lot of things have been stirring in me over the last year or two, and I sense the Lord's leading to California to continue to have those passions developed and allow them to really take shape.

I am going to be trying to find some part-time work (possibly refereeing and substitute teaching), and I will be living with five other guys in an apartment. I am going to be getting involved with the ministries of the church in order to serve and learn alongside the believers there. Cornerstone is trying to search out and discover what the Church is called to live like Biblically. They are doing a lot to push towards community, loving one another, and being intimiately involved in each others lives as they serve their neighborhoods and do ministry together. I am pretty excited to get out there! :)

I will be leaving Marietta on July 31st, and will head up to Cleveland for a few days. After some vacation time with my family, I will be leaving on August 11th to go to California.

3 comments:

  1. best wishes, bro, on your next steps. we'll miss ya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, I'm sure that the Lord will use this time of transition to form you even more into the man he is calling you to be! Best wishes! I'm bummed we didn't get to know each other until you were leaving staff.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete